Monday, January 20, 2014

The RIGHT Shampoo for your hair!

Hi everyone! I am excited to announce starting every MONDAY I will be doing a blog post on hair tips and tricks! I am really excited about it, and if you have any suggestions of things that you would like to know just leave a comment! Thanks! - Laina

The RIGHT Shampoo for your hair.

One thing that will make a complete 180 difference in how your hair, acts, behaves, and looks is the shampoo and conditioner! I am a VERY firm believer that professional shampoo is a MUST. 1. it lasts longer- professional shampoo is more concentrated, so in the end you only need a nickel amount, where drug store brand you use over a handful. 2. It has actually proteins, and moistures in the shampoo that can soak in through the cuticle and repair your hair, where as drug store brand actually puts a waxy coating on your hair (Dove brand is the worst!) 3. The ph balance of professional shampoo, is made to help your hair without stripping it too much. While I was in Cosmetology school we tested lots of shampoos (professional, and drug store) and it amazed me how bad the drug store brands are for your hair!
So please, with that said, shop the sales and find the perfect shampoo at a SALON near you!

The RIGHT Shampoo-
I say this because I have had roommates before, and shampoo was a "community" asset. The problem though, was each of those girls have different hair types. So Lets talk hair types, and I will show you some of my favorites!

**Dry Hair**
Don't mistake dry hair for brittle hair!
if you have:
-Fine, Thin Hair- the problem with most shampoos and conditioners are "intense moisture" well that "intense" part, will in fact be too heavy for your hair. I suggest a light moisture shampoo, it won't be too heavy, and yet it will still do the trick. This way you can still have moisturized ends without having to pay the price of it weighing down your hair. Redken Clear Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner are my favorite for this hair type.
-Normal to Thick Coarse hair-  So back to that part about "intense moisture" that's for you! lets get those dry ends taken care of! I love Redken All Soft shampoo and conditioner. It literally makes your hair all soft, if you feel like that's a little too much for your hair, do less moisture such as Redken Clear Moisture shampoo.


**Dry Scalp**
For the love of pete please do not buy Head and Shoulders!  What you do need is a few different treatments. 1. I love Paul mitchell's Tea Tree shampoo. Also, try putting a coconut oil treatment on your scalp, put a plastic bag on it, and heat it up (with a blowdryer). That will definitely help cure a dry scalp! 

**Color Treated** 
Lots of times with color treated, you will have multiple issues, it is possible to still have brittle hair, or dry hair with color treated hair. So be aware when shopping for shampoos that your shampoo is "Color Safe" this means the shampoo won't take out your color faster than normal. Here are a couple of great color safe Shampoos.  Joico K-PAK, Alfaparf Diamante Color Protection Shampoo (your hair will feel like liquid gold after you use either of these!) 



**Brittle Hair**
If you have lots of split ends, your hair breaks off easily. Its probably because you need more protein! I personally suggest eating more protein enriched foods (help your hair from the inside out!) Also my favorite for reconstructing  the hair is Joico K- PAK. It also comes in color treated! 
**PUMP UP the VOLUME Hair**
Let me guess, you want more volume? well, lots of things besides shampoo can help with this, try blow drying your roots up in the opposite direction you want your hair to go. Also, use a good root lifter to help give you that volume. I am not always a huge fan of volumizing shampoos because a lot of the time they dry out your hair. but I do like Matrix Total Results Amplify Volume Shampoo.
**Curly Hair**
Oh my dear Curly haired friends… lots of times if your hair is curly it will be curly. which also means it will be dryer, and frizzier, and drive you crazy. But please try adding a tad bit more moisture as your conditioner. That will help a ton! 
I have curly hair and I want it straight??
Perfect I have just the thing for you! I love love love Redken Real Control, it is a heavy shampoo, which weighs down your hair and helps keep that frizz tamed. Also a comparable one is Matrix Essentials Sleek look. 


Well everyone. These are my favorites and suggestions. Try them out and give me feedback! Also comment on how well you liked this post, and what other things you would like to know about.
Sending the love from my locks to yours! -Laina






2 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on the 'off brand-brand' shampoos that are at Sally's Beauty Supply? I see lots of compare to Paul Mitchell etc but I don't know how comparable they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have insanely thick, straight hair that is naturally pretty healthy, but it's starting to fall out. Not badly, but it's definitely thinner than it used to be. What do you suggest? I've always used cheap shampoo cause well, is cheap, but I'm starting to realize that my hair won't stay healthy if I keep doing that.

    ReplyDelete